Creating a 1st-level character
Start by getting the mechanics down. Then decide where your character fits in the world.
The easy way:
Pick one of the pre-genned ones from Wizards of the Coast. Done!
The slightly more labor-intensive way:
Decide race and class. Check out the Races and Classes page for detailed information.
- Generate your ability scores. Couple of options here:
- use the standard array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
twiddle them with point buy: http://hallsofheroes.com/pointbuy/
- Pick background, skill proficiencies, and starting spells (if any).
- Fill in all the ability score dependent values (skills, HP, saves, initiative, etc.).
- Add your starting equipment.
Here is a more detailed guide for mechanics: https://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-a-DD-5e-Character-for-Beginners/
Character sheets are here [.zip archive]: http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/5E_CHARACTERSHEETSV3.ZIP
All information available in the books can be found in the Complete Reference app.
Decide the region your character is from, and where they are now. (Check out the map!)
- Consider what relationship your character has with the Cincture, the Church of the Three, and the Beacon.
- Feel free to create a faction that your character belongs to or seeks entry to.
Walk through the questions in this guide, inventing as much or as little backstory for your character as you need or wish.
Email SteveKillen what you have, or pop on the discord to chat about it.