Some lists of utilities I've found
- RPG tile-map webapp
- Accessing my iPod Touch in Linux
- A wordpress install script on hcoop
Hacks, kludges, and fixes
After the wiki got spammed, I locked it down and added Textchas for new users. But there were still 50-something random users, and MoinMoin user data is stored in numbered files. So I threw together a script to get rid of them rather than delete them one by one. Feel free to gaze upon my shitty shell programming skills, ye Mighty, and despair. Summary: it looks at a file I keep of actual human beings, and if the user isn't on the list, it gets deleted. (Even though I could have just done this from the command line, writing the script means I don't have to write it again the next time I get hit with wikispam of that sort.)
Roadrunner DNS lookup was taking forever after I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on magrathea, so I Googled (as you do) and found this gem from 2006. The upshot: Roadrunner and Adelphi DNS can be slow for Linux machines (but not Windows!), so it's easier to set your DNS lookup addresses to use OpenDNS servers. Go figure.
Rob Banz noted that OpenDNS "hijack[s] and muck[s] with query results" and that Google also has public DNS (184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11). Roadrunner also throws a search page for mistyped URLs. I guess it's a matter of whether or not I care who's using my browsing data. I switched to Google servers, if only because they conform to DNS standards.