Creating a 1st-level character
Start by getting the mechanics down. Then decide where your character fits in the world.
The easy way:
Pick one of the pre-genned ones from Wizards of the Coast. Done!
The slightly more labor-intensive way:
Decide race and class. Check out the Races and Classes page for detailed information.
- Generate your ability scores. Couple of options here:
- use the standard array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
twiddle them with point buy: http://hallsofheroes.com/pointbuy/
- Pick background, skill proficiencies, and starting spells (if any).
- Fill in all the ability score dependent values (skills, HP, saves, initiative, etc.).
- Add your starting equipment.
Here is a more detailed guide for mechanics: https://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-a-DD-5e-Character-for-Beginners/
All information available in the books can be found in the Complete Reference app.
- Decide the region your character is from, and where they are now.
- Consider what relationship your character has with the Cincture, the Church of the Three, and the Beacon.
- Feel free to create a faction that your character belongs to or seeks entry to.